- ½ cup dried split peas
- ½ cup dried beans (can use any variety)
- 4 cups water
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 6-8 medium zucchini, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 leek stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 bunches kale, collard greens, or other greens, (remove tough stems and center ribs) chop leaves
- 5 pounds carrots, juiced, (5-6 cups juice: see note below)
- 2 bunches celery, juiced (2 cups juice: see note below)
- 2 TBS Mrs. Dash or Dr Furmans’ VegiZest (or something comparable)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms (shitake, cremini, and/or oyster), chopped
Place the split peas, beans, and water in a very large pot over low heat. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the onions, zucchini, leeks, and kale to the pot. Add the carrot juice, celery juice, and Mrs. Dash. Simmer until the onions, Zucchini, and leeks are soft, about 45 minutes.
Remove 2 cups of the soup liquid, being careful to leave the beans and at least half of the kale in the pot. Using a high powered blender or food processor blend the soup liquid with the cashews. Return the creamy mixture to the pot. Add the mushrooms and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the beans are soft.
NOTE: Freshly juiced organic carrots and celery will maximize the flavor of this soup.